So your graduate program failed to teach you anything about dementias, but your SNF population is dominantly dementia?
It's not your fault, but it is your problem.
Our online course helps you solve that.
Comprehensive Dementia is a course designed to fill the knowledge gap that many professional SLPs experience in the areas of the dementias. This Continuing Education online course that has been traditionally a three day public workshop, is now available as an online course for SLP's. The Speech Team is able to provide two modes of educational support for the practicing speech language pathologist, which provide the same deep knowledge base of their role in the assessment and treatment/management of all the dementias.
This course has been offered in public workshops for twelve years. Practicing SLPs can access this knowledge at their leisure for implementation in their clinical environment - hospitals, skilled nursing facilities, and long term care facilities worldwide via our website.
This course is for speech language pathologists (U.S./International) who have initial knowledge/skill in the treatment/management of dementia. In a year-long speech language pathologist (SLP) Survey done by the Speech Team, Inc., a workshop on dementia assessment and treatment/management was requested by a 3 to 1 margin. In response to these requests, Comprehensive Dementia has been developed for the SLP who works with dementia patients and who wants to understand their role in the management of dementia.
Comprehensive Dementia is a full scope course which provides the speech language pathologist with a deep knowledge base of their role in the assessment and treatment/management of their dementia patients.
In this course, dementia assessment and treatment/management skills are taught with a focus towards multi-residential therapeutic settings. A total of five case studies and analysis are provided for the student in the areas of communication and dysphagia. Formal state-of-the-art tools are provided as downloadable forms for the development of a "continuum of care management program" for the dementia patient. The student will also be trained on a "Functional Maintenance Program" paper system.
This course contains 6 Modules:
- Module 1: The Medical Basis of Dementias
- Module 2: Drugs and Dementia
- Module 3: Dementia Assessment for Communication
- Module 4: Communication Management and Treatment of the Dementia Patient
- Module 5: Dysphagia Evaulation in the Dementia Patient
- Module 6: Nutritional Management & Treatment of the Dementia Patient
Within this course you will find over 120 video lectures and 6 reading comprehension quizzes. These quizzes are NOT graded and designed only for your learning experience. At the beginning and end of the course you will find a Pre and Post Evaluation quiz. The results from these quizzes are recorded but WILL NOT affect your pass or fail status. The FINAL EXAM, which consists of 115 random questions MUST be completed with an 80% or better to pass and receive your certification. Students have 2 attempts per question, but unlimited overall attempts on the final exam. If you do not pass, the next time you begin the Exam, you will be given a new random set of 115 questions.
This Comprehensive Dementia course curriculum contains wide and inclusive content on:
- Diagnositic Criteria, Medical characteristics, Cognitive-Linguistic Characteristics on all dementias (Reversible and Irreversible)
- Treatment/Management/Palliative techniques for all medical dementias
- Full scale standardized testing skill set for determining Dementia Stages and Spared Communications strategies for appropriate Functional Maintenance Plan Development (FMPs)
- Effective Documentation skills for functional maintenance programs focusing on "bullet proof" reimbursement
- Comprehensive knowledge base regarding pharmacological principles affecting dementia patient management.
Completion of the modules and the Final Exam will result in a downloadable Speech Team Certification in Comprehensive Dementia.
Registration Fee: $500 for 2.8 CEUs
($17.86 per credit hour)
2.8 ASHA CEUs (Intermediate Level, Professional Area)
This course is offered for 2.8 ASHA CEUs as a co-op between CIAO Seminars and The Speech Team, Inc. ASHA CEUs are awarded to those that meet eligibility criteria by the ASHA CE Registry upon receipt of the CEU Participant Form from the ASHA Approved CE Provider.